[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball Report 14 nov 03 1902 local, I was 20 kilometers n/w of Edson, Alberta, Canada (fwd)

----------------------  Forwarded Message:  ---------------------
From:    NAMN
Subject: Fireball Report 14 nov 03     1902 local, I was 20 kilometers n/w of Edson, Alberta, Canada
Date:    Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:20:25 -0500 (EST)

----

Your Name? mike kimm

Your Town/State/Country? alberta, Canada

Date and Time? 14 nov 03     1902 local

What compass direction did the fireball appear from? north

What compass direction did the fireball DISAPPEAR from? it came straight down
from the north star and just brushed the right hand side of the big dipper

How long, in seconds, were you able to see it in the sky? 2-3 sec

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it APPEARED?
(As a reference, a closed fist held at arm's length is
approximately 10 degrees.)
  I was driving a pickup truck and didn't see it when it appeared,but I knew
there was something coming because the night brightened before I saw the plasma
trail.

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it DISAPPEARED? 10- 15 deg

How bright did it appear?
Like a star, Venus, the Moon, or the setting Sun?
  the plasma trail was a blue green beam and it looked like it was boiling smoke
but in a very narrow beam

Did it have any color(s)? the plasma[correct word  ?] trail was bluish green and
very narrow and it tapered at the end. Theburst at the end was bright yellow
orange when it burst then it fizzled like a molten metal roman candle with a few
globules that went up then arced down and went out at the same height they came
from.

Did it appear to fall apart as it went by? What did that look like?
  it fell apart at the very end in a small explosion.

Did it leave a persistent streak in the sky after it was gone?
How long did that last?
  the streak dissapated as the end exploded but there wasn't a yellow fireball
until it actually exploded

How fast did it move? Use a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being
VERY slow, and 5 being extremely quick.
  3 I directly observed it for 1/2 the time it took for it to decerate, and I
immediately got the impression/sense of extremely rapid deceleration

Did you hear a sound?
If yes, what was the time delay from sighting to sound?
  no sound by the time I stopped the truck and I couldn't see a smoke trail

What is the closest Town/State to where you saw the fireball?
  I was 20 kilometers n/w of Edson, Alberta, Canada

Please put any additional remarks, sketches, drawings, etc. below:
  By far the most spectacular sighting I have seen.