[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 17/18 Leonids weak from North Florida

Hi list folks,
       I managed fifty minutes of pre-dawn observing this morning from the
grounds of the Castillo De San Marcos National Monument in St. Augustine.
Not much was happening.  I figured I had better get out this morning as a
rapidly approaching cold front is making tonight/tomorrow morning look bad
for observing opportunities.  Looks like my "Leonid lucky streak" of the
past two years may come to an end.

      Anyway, for this morning, moonlight and clouds at two levels made
observing conditions very mushy at best.  Only saw 3 Leonids and 7 sporadics
in 50 minutes (0426 - 0516 Local) before the clouds shut me down.  Report to
follow, I had good enough sky conditions most of the time to see anything
that might have been going on, very little was.  Good luck to all for
tonight, we will need it here in the Florida/Georgia area with this front
bearing down on us!

Location:  St. Augustine, Florida                 Time:  0926 - 1016 UT
Faintest Zenithal Star: 5.0 (variable)            Sky conditions:  30%
moonlight/cloud interference

3 Leonids, 7 sporadics  10 total meteors

Leonid magnitudes:  +2 (1), +3 (2)

Short and sweet report, what a come down from last year for me... :o(!

Regards to all, Paul in the Ancient City

Send a QuickGreet with MSN Messenger
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_games