[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Backyard leonids - 18th nov UT

Greetings
Same casual backyard - same bat channel

34º 51' South  138º 41' East - Adelaide, Australia
Teff of 1 hour
Total leonids   2 LEO (plus one possible LEO)

70% of sky visible  - centred mostly on 60* E/N/E
Start Time - 3:40 am 19th nov '03 local time (17:10 18th nov '03 UT)
Best LEO was a -2 at about 18:35 UT 18th nov

LM for first session was around 6 (thin high level cirrus)
LM for second session was 4 - 4.5 (moon became problem)

17:10 - 17:55 UT  - One possible LEO
18:25 - 18:45 UT  - two LEO  a -2 and a +1  straight out of radiant (lost 5
min in this session)

Constant flashes of distant noiseless lightning from all directions, lit up
the sky. Very tropical conditions. Moon and Jupiter looked good rising
together.
 Stewart, a member of our group, once likened the leonids to someone turning
on and off a water tap (this was during the 2001 storm) - its a good analogy
for meteor showers to me - someone please turn on the tap!
cheers
Kearn Jones