From: owner-meteorobs@atmob.org [mailto:owner-meteorobs@atmob.org] On
Behalf Of Peter Brunone
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 10:10 AM
To: meteorobs@atmob.org
Subject: (meteorobs) (hardly any) Leonids from Dallas, TX... and
something else

	This being my first report, it's more conversational than
detailed.  Then again, with what I saw last night, it's hard to care.

	From 01:00 to 03:15 Central US Time (07:00-10:15 UT), my friend
and I saw what appeared to be three Leonids, none above mag 3.  One left
a train for approximately 2 seconds.  There was one (Northern Apex?)
about mag 1 that covered a good 40 deg of sky from directly overhead to
due southeast, and two mag 4 sporadics.

	The most interesting thing we saw may not have been a meteor at
all -- my mind can't justify it as such -- but maybe the folks here can
help.  We were driving due east at 00:30 local (06:30 UT) and about 60
deg above the horizon right in front of us, we saw an extremely bright
(around mag -5 maybe) light that lasted less than a second and traveled
no more than five degrees down.  Really, it reminded me of a ball from a
roman candle or some other man-made pyrotechnic, but we didn't see
anything else like it in the area.  There might have been a train, but
it could have been just the streak left on my retina.  Could this have
been a leftover Taurid?  It was brighter than any meteor in my
experience which, admittedly, is quite limited.

Hoping for Geminids,

Peter Brunone
Dallas, TX USA