Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:50:38 -0700
Subject: Re: Comet Biela and the Great Chicago Fire
From: Pascal <pascalf@termiteart.com>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>

To Whom It may concern,

I am producing a show for Discovery on the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. In
our program we have tested several theories; spontaneous combustion,
flying embers, we rebuilt the O'Leary barn - complete with two tons of hay
and coal and then burned it down with 20 mile per hour winds to simulate the
conditions in Chicago on October 8th, 1871. We would like to include the
meteor theory but do not have enough evidence or any experts who seem to be
able to substantiate the claims. There is a theory that the fire in 1871
could have been started by a meteor - Comet Biela. Two other major fires
occurred that same night; Peshtigo, Wisconsin and Michigan Thumb region.

If you are so inclined, here are a few of my questions: Could falling debris
start a fire? How big would these particles be? What kind of evidence is
there that would prove this theory? Could this meteor shower go undetected?

Best regards,

Pascal

Pascal Franchot
Termite Art Productions