[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) LEO central Texas Nov 19 -- details

The weather was very nice, and with almost all of the eastern
USA overcast, I felt duty-bound to go out and look!

Observing site: 30.37N, 97.22W, elev. about 150m.
Before moonrise, 8 stars counted in Auriga triangle (#17),
6 stars in Perseus (#2) -- LM about +5.0.
About 5% sky obstruction (trees at periphery).
Looking about 55 degrees up at about azimuth 45 (northeast).

Observing periods (all times with appended :00 implied)
Period__UTC Teff LEO Others
07:40-07:50 .167  1   1
07:52-08:02 .167  0   1
08:03-08:13 .167  0   3
08:14-08:19 .083  2   2

Moonrise noticed, changed position to looking NNW (55 degrees
up at azimuth 350), still about 5% obstructed by trees.
Only 7 stars counted in Auriga after moonrise -- LM +4.4?
2 LEO and 1 other seen during this interlude.  Note rise in
Leonids at about 9:30.

Period__UTC Teff LEO Others
08:30-08:35 .083  1   0
08:36-08:41 .083  1   1
08:44-08:49 .083  0   0
08:50-09:00 .167  1   1
09:03-09:08 .083  3   0
09:09-09:14 .083  0   1
09:15-09:20 .083  0   0
09:21-09:26 .083  0   0
09:27-09:32 .083  1   0
09:35-09:40 .083  1   1
09:41-09:46 .083  1   2
09:47-09:52 .083  2   0
09:53-09:58 .083  1   0
10:00-10:05 .083  1   0
10:06-10:11 .083  1   0
10:12-10:17 .083  4   2 (-1 SPO SE->W)
10:18-10:23 .083  1   1
10:24-10:29 .083  5   2
10:30-10:35 .083  2   0
10:36-10:41 .083  1   0
10:43-10:48 .083  0   3
10:49-10:54 .083  5   1
10:55-11:00 .083  1   1

Teff=155, LEO=36, Other=23

At 10:12-17 I rejected one meteor that I thought I saw;
it would have been a LEO.

-3 LEO was seen at 8:26, not in Teff, brightest meteor seen.
I saw at least a couple of SPO from the direction of Ursa
Major, and two definite Taurids.  Maybe half a dozen of the
SPO, including the -1, were from the SE.

If it had been Saturday or Sunday morning I would have
continued longer, but I had to go to work on Wednesday.

I'm puzzled by my low limiting magnitudes when I go out
into the country, but maybe it just wasn't as dark in this
place as I hoped.  After moonrise, looking to NNW I had the
Moon to my right and Austin sky glow to my left.  Maybe I'm
getting old eyes; my eyeglasses are a recent prescription.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA