[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids but no aurora

Hi Kimbo and all,
      Well done.  You sure outdid me this morning, mi amigo.  I got out
(physically, at least), observing conditions were still excellent, but this
observer's condition was decidely not!  I was fatigued, big time.  Saw about
three Leonids and seven sporadics in just short of an hour (0426 - 0516
local), but I was nowhere near my optimum alertness.  In fact, I think I may
have fallen asleep during the hour, it sure went by awful fast!  Or was I
abducted by aliens?   I'm just not sure.  If so, they must've thrown me
back.  I wasn't worth keeping to any life form this morning.  I just gotta
admit to myself that I cannot stay up most of the night and work all day
like I used to 20 years ago.  Spirit is willing...but the flesh is weak.
My report will not follow, because I am too ashamed of it... ;o).

Regards to all,
Paul, sleepless in the Ancient City

>From: "Kim Youmans" <ksyo@bellsouthdot net>
>To: <meteorobs@meteorobs.org>
>Subject: (meteorobs) Leonids but no aurora
>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:33:11 -0500
>
>I was not able to detect the aurora here but did just finish another two
>hours observing again this morning.  Leonid rates were 1/4 to 1/3 their
>strength from yesterday, at about  5-7 per hour, from 8:56 to 9:56 UT.
>Sporadic/non-LEO rates were still very good, however, boosting the rates to
>about 35 meteors total seen during the watch.
>
>The dark face of the rising crescent moon was splashed lightly in
>earthshine this morning as it rose, and made for a nice finale for my
>leonid "expedition" this year, aurora or no aurora!
>
>Full report later.
>Kim Youmans

online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection!  Prices start
at less than $1 a day average.  https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary
by service area.)