[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids:18/19 Nov

Informal, partial report 18/19 Nov 2003; Last three hours only;
McFarland Park 4 miles NE of Ames, Iowa, USA.  Facing North 55 degrees.
  Sky remarkably free of haze, cirrus, etc.

                              l.m.    Leonids  N Taurids	Sporadics
245-345 am CST(845-945 UT)   6.0       18          1        3
345-445 am CST(945-1045 UT)  5.7       13          -        1
445-545 am CST(1045-1145 UT) 5.5       18          -        4

Leonid Magnitudes:

-3      1
-2      4
-1      6
  0      4
+1     13
+2      9
+3      7
+4      4
+5      1

No Leonid trains lasting more than 3 seconds.

The aurora on the evening of 27 Nov at 6 pm with a lot of twilight in
the West was mostly a bright, generalized glow up to Polaris with
several fuzzy rays to 15 degrees above Polaris.  Soon the rays
disappeared and the activity in the North was an amorphous pale green
glow which gradually faded (with several slight brightenings) over the
next four hours.  The real activity was to the South and Southeast.  I
have never seen such bright aurora in the far South.  For awhile the
base of the SE aurora was less than 2 degrees above my southeastern
horizon.  Just after 9 pm the southern aurora disappeared.

Paul Martsching