[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids Nov 22/23 Australia

Hi all,
I thought the only chance for "outstanding" activity from these latitudes
this year was from fireballs associated with the 736 and probably 636
dust trails.  This morning I watched from before radiant rise (~15:20UT)
till well into dawn (~18:20UT) and saw no Leonids!  Thus, rates are clearly
well down from the corresponding times on Nov 13 and 19.  In about 30 mins
of "formal" watch between 17:00 and 17:50 there were only 7 sporadics (or
rather non-Leonids and non-Taurids) in excellent (lm +6.0 to +6.5) skies
with a zero degree horizon.  Spent most of my time with all-sky camera
coverage but neither I nor Tanya, who watched the sky the whole time, saw
any bright meteors.

Perhaps Asian observers will be getting some fireballs now from their more
favourable latitudes?

Cheers, Rob