[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteor Hunt of November 19/20, 2003!

Mark and All,

Here are answers to your questions and a few suggestions:

1:15am EST is not too early for the Leonids as the radiant should be 25-30
degrees in elevation. Granted you will normally see more activity when the
radiant is higher but with the numerous predictions of enhanced activity one
should view as soon as the radiant clears the horizon.

Your "outdated" radiant coordinates were probably close unless they were a
week old or more.

A shower member can appear at any distance from a radiant, even zero (point
meteor). The key is the length of the path. A long meteor cannot appear near
its radiant. A general rule is that a meteor cannot appear less than twice
its path length from its radiant. Therefore a meteor five degrees long must
appear at least ten degrees away from its radiant in order to be considered
a shower member.

Odds are on November 20 the three meteors you saw coming from inside the
"sickle" were indeed Leonids. If they appeared to come from an area to the
north of the "sickle" then I would have called them members of the northern
apex radiant.

A fifty percent obstruction is pretty high and involves a large correction
factor. I would suggest making the top of the trees the bottom of you field
of view so that no actual blockage of your field of view occurs. Obstruction
also implies that you cannot see through it which is not the case for thin
clouds. I would suggest making magnitude estimates every fifteen minutes to
more accurately reflect your observing conditions. If you would follow these
suggestions then you would list no obstructions and a variable limiting
magnitude throughout your session.

I would like to hear more about your portable "atomic clock". I may have to
trade in my talking clock for one of these (if they are not too expensive)!

I hope this helps!

Bob Lunsford