[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Bob Lunsford's Suggestions/Help & Nov. 19/20 Correction

Hi Mark and all observers,

Your report was well received and looks fine. Let me
comment on a subject that is not widely noticed, just
because your LM list is a good example.

>  LIMITING MAGNITUDE:
>
>              STAR     STAR
>  TIME        AREA    COUNT    LM
>
>  7:06         4        7+    5.1+
>  7:06         8        9     5.5
>  7:27         4        7+    5.1+
>  7:27         8      ~10     5.9
>  7:50         4       ~8    ~5.3
>  7:50         9        6       -
>
>  MEAN LIMITING MAGNITUDE: ~5.4

At low limiting magnitudes, there are severe gaps in the
conversion tables from star count to LM. This is of course
since not every tenth of a magnitude is 'occupied' by a star
in the count area. You will often encounter a significantly
lower LM in one of the counts made the same time. A count
in area #4 of 7 stars may be 5.1, but since the next star is at
something like 5.8, the LM could have been also 5.2, 5.3, 5.4,
... 5.7 with the same count in #4.

I'd suggest to use the highest count for each time and average
these (unless LM better than say +6.0). In your example, this
would come down to

   07:06   5.5
   07:27   5.9
   07:50   5.3

AVERAGE    5.57

The method of course requires that enough star counts are made
during the observation and that -- most critically -- several
areas are counted.

Please note also that updated LM conversion tables based on
the Tycho catalogue are available at

     http://www.imodot net/visual/lm.html      or
     http://www.amsmeteors.org/imo-mirror/visual/lm.html

Best wishes,