[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Bob Lunsford's Suggestions/Help & Nov. 19/20 Correction

While I think some of the count areas are difficult to use (involvement
with the Milky Way for example) the count area method seems to work for
me.  Since I observe from the same location nearly every time I have a
pretty good "general-impression" of the limiting magnitude when I
arrive.  I do the count areas to see if the counts agree or disagree
with my general impression.  I don't spend a lot of time with this and I
don't agonize over the exactness of the counts - I have severe
astigmatism so faint stars often just look like dim smudges to me.
Altho I sometimes have it happen that my first area count before I am
completely dark-adapted shows a much better limiting magnitude than any
later count.

One problem with a selected series is that it may have to be a different
series as the night goes on if one is observing for several hours.  The
selected series should be high enough to avoid any atmospheric dimming
effects - a series that works fine at 8 pm may well be too low by 11 pm.
    One would almost have to make a series of "custom" series for his
particular latitude to use as the night progresses.

When it comes to nights with bright Moonlight I think accuracy to a
tenth of a magnitude is wishful thinking.  Depending on haze, cirrus,
dust, fog, etc the sky is much more unevenly lit (or unevenly dark) when
the Moon is up. Often in Iowa there is horizon-haze so the sky is extra
bright quite a ways up all around the horizon when the Moon is shining.
  The darkest part of the sky is usually opposite the Moon but somtimes
doesn't reach up to the zenith.  So where do you do any sort of area
count or star series count?  I think the error bars are large on Moonlit
nights not only because of the brightness of the sky, but also because
of the difficulty in determining what the limiting magnitude "really" is.

Paul Martsching

Follow-Ups: References: