[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor observation N FLA 11-29/30-03

Greetings all,
     The following is my half of the Double Station experiment Kim and I did
the other morning.

Observer:  Paul W. Jones  Date:  11-29/30-2003   Location: 6 miles north of
St. Augustine, Florida

Begin:  0520 UT,  End:  0726 UT  Facing NNW, no clouds, no horizon
obstructions
Teff:  2.07

Period One:
0520 - 0626 UT   1 ANT, 1 Puppid/Velid, 1 NPX, 9 SPO, 12 Total meteors
Avg. LM 6.27

Mag Distribution:

SPO (9) - +2 (1), +3 (3), +4 (5)
ANT (1) - 0 (1)
NPX (1) - +2 (1)
Puppid/Velid (1) - -1 (1)

Period Two:
0626 - 0726 UT   1 ANT, 1 NPX, 1 MON, 10 SPO, 13 Total meteors    Avg LM:
6.34

Mag distibution:

SPO (10) - +1 (1), +2 (2), +3 (2), +4 (4), +5 (1)
ANT (1) -  +4 (1)
NPX (1) -  +2 (1)
MON (1) - +3 (1)

Individual meteor data:
Period One:
Time      Shower          Mag             Notes
0523      ANT               0                Nice train, seen in Andromeda,
white in color
0526      SPO               3                (Possible MON?, not well seen)
0543      SPO               4
0548      SPO               4
0551      P/V               -1                Earth-grazer out of south, 30
degree path length, silvery-white
                                                    in color, Eridanus to
Aries, flared, train - NICE METEOR!!
0551     SPO                4                (Not well seen, concentrating
on previous meteor!)
0552     SPO                3                Third meteor in less than one
minute, too much to handle!
0555     SPO                4
0600     SPO                3
0609     SPO                4
0612     NPX                2                Camelopardalis/Ursa Major E to
W track, good train
0619     SPO                2                Seen in  Lepus

Period Two:

Time     Shower           Mag            Notes
0633     SPO                2               Medium speed, long path,
yellowish/white, train - NICE
0637     MON               2               Going west in Aries
0641     SPO                4
0647     SPO                1              Swift in speed, train
0654     SPO                3              Not well seen, low in NNW
0658     SPO                4
0703     ANT                4             Going NE in Gemini
0707     SPO                4
0715     NPX                2              Train
0718     SPO                4
0721     SPO                2
0721     SPO                5              Second meteor in less than 30
seconds
0723     SPO                3

Narrative:   I was situated on a small dock on the North River (Intracostal
Waterway).  The horizons were complete in all directions, but I was very
exposed to the biting north wind.  I estimate the wind chill factor at 25
degrees F.  Observer discomfort due to the cold was a bit of a factor, but
meteor activty was very good, both in number and in quality for a non-shower
night.  I know from comparing Kim's obs with mine (and time correlation) we
saw some of the same meteors.  Not bad for a first effort, we will try this
again.

Regards to all, Paul in N FL

Gift-shop online from the comfort of home at MSN Shopping!  No crowds, free
parking.  http://shopping.msn.com