[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireball sonic booms!

In a message dated 11/30/2003 4:04:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
epmajden@shawdot ca writes:

> I wonder if sonic booms were heard on
>  the ground from V2 rockets?  Also, sonic booms must have been heard from
the
>  atmospheric entry of fireball meteoroids.  When were these sonic booms
first
>  recognized as being produced by a large meteoroid?

Ed:

Thanks to Joel Carpenter for this. The V-1 was subsonic but the
V-2 reached speeds of well over 3000 feet per second
(Mach FIVE):

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/makeup/v2factsheet1.gif

and this led to the famously scary dictum that its sound was
only heard after it had hit. A good book about the supersonic
research that led to this is:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0300063679.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Clear skies,
Bob Young