From: nmcleod@peganet.com [mailto:nmcleod@peganet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 7:14 AM
To: meteorobs@atmob.org
Subject: (meteorobs) Re: distance from central vision

In 1974 we thought of trying out DCV recording. (Something like this I am
sure had been done previously.)   At the time I dubbed it Distance from
Central Vision.  The technique consists of recording how far you were
looking from the beginning of each meteor.  Accuracy to the nearest 10
degrees is enough -- that's about all you can realistically get anyhow.  We
were motivated by trying to explain the enormous rates from Bill Gates.  I
recorded DCV's for about 10000 meteors from early 1974 to mid-1976, then
quit as the data was stable.  My average DCV worked out at only 6 degrees !
But Gates was 25 degrees !  He excelled at faint meteors, but overall his
rates were 3.8 X mine.  Both Bob and Paul are also at DCV 25 but excel at
bright meteors (fewer of these in reality), so their rates are  "only"
twice mine.  A full-scale perception correction would need to take in DCV
and average meteor magnitude.

On Marco V's concern for Chuck hitting a coral reef off the Florida coast,
there is no problem.  The reef ends off Key Biscayne in Miami (mild surf
there), but just a couple miles further north, Miami Beach has heavy surf
without protection of the reef.  Chuck is well north of this area.  This is
the only reef in the United States, and runs south off the Keys.  Chuck will
be using his land yacht with 4 wheels instead, a whole lot easier, to come
watch meteors inland away from Florida cities.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society