[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids are great!

Seems that I thought I detected some doubts about the
Geminids.  For me they have been really good.  On my first
attempt (1996), my second observed shower, without trying
much at all, from the middle of town, I saw at least 15 of
them.  Below are my last three serious sessions on peak
nights, and I was very pleased with the results each time.
I'm maybe an intermediate observer on major showers, at
best, and seem not to get very good limiting magnitudes
usually.  All of these were from places in central Texas
(30-31 N, 98 W).

2001. In 1.17 hour Teff, 100 Geminids and 14 others.
LM was roughly only +5.

1999. In 1.333 hour Teff, 101 Geminids and 9 others.
LM probably was below +5.

1998. In 2.483 hours Teff, 263 Geminids and 25 others.
LM was probably around +6.0.  Casually (between Teff
periods and for 20 minutes after, while getting ready
to leave), I counted 107 more Geminids and 11 others.

I'm going to have to try the faintest-star method along
with area counts, to see if there's any difference for
me, because in spite of apparently consistently low LMs,
I seem to see plenty of meteors.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA