[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: distance from central vision

> Has there been or is there now any work being done on ZHR corrections for
> personal DCV and average magnitudes?  Perhaps there can be a coordinated
> effort at certain times when many observers can watch at once from wherever

The determination of the perception probabilities for magnitude
and DCV can be found in the full analysis method papers

 http://www.imodot net/articles/method/kos1990-1.pdf
 http://www.imodot net/articles/method/kos1990-2.pdf

> average perception. The ZHR formula already corrects for most of the
> differences that would certainly exist (radiant position, clouds, limiting
> magnitude, etc.).  Maybe each observer could then achieve a personal
> perception coefficient?

Perception corrections are better expressed in corrections
on LM, since this also includes the population index. An
observer seeing more meteors is typically sees more fainter
ones. This advantage slims if the shower provides a low
population index (many bright meteors compared to faint ones).

See

 http://www.imodot net/articles/shower/leo02_r.pdf
 http://www.imodot net/articles/shower/per02.pdf
 http://www.imodot net/articles/shower/per97.html

for a few recent determinations of the perception corrections.

Best wishes,
Rainer

--
Rainer Arlt  --  Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam -- www.aipdot de