[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminid

I woke up this morning by some accident at three AM Pacific Standard
Time and decided to see if I could see any Geminids in my light polluted
back yard.  I got started at 3:15 AM PST (19:15 UTC).  With the moon so
high and the normal light pollution I would estimate the sky at a LM of
2.5 to 3.0.  I faced North East trying to get some protection from the
moonlight with my house and an old fashioned black umbrella.  My field
of view due to buildings was probably one third or less of the sky.  I
saw just three Geminids and no sporadic in one hour of continuous
observing. They appeared early in the observation and were a magnitude
of 1.5, 1.0, and 0.0.  This may seem like a waste of time for some of
you more lucky observers, but for me in my back yard at this time of the
year, that was a grand experience. :-)
I don't consider this good scientific data but for those curious soles,
I am at 118o 03m 32s West Longitude and
+34o 09m 55s North Latitude in sunny southern California.  The weather
is crystal clear and I will be observing under these adverse conditions
again tonight, I hope. I'm looking forward to next year when the moon
will not be any trouble at all.