From: MARK BOSTICK
To: meteorobs@atmob.org
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 12:07 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) 1907 Fireball

Hello Everyone,

I have gotten a couple e-mails wondering if Ripley's had contacted me back.  The archive lady I talked with told me she was about to go on vacation and would be gone till Tuesday, but would try to research it that day.  I guess she didnt have time or couldn't find the reference off hand.  From my experience December has always been the worst month of the year for trying to do research.

If the original person that posted the Ripley's quotation, can verifiy that was a quotation and not reworded, or provide information on what Ripley's book the information came out of might help.  The Ripley search system can search its archives for exact wording...so the wording provided to the list was the wording I passed along.

I am still looking up other avenues of research as well.  Information provided by Ripley's should point me in a good research direction.

1907 is pretty close to the turning point in meteor/meteorite newspaper reports, in the sense that before this time meteorite reports in newspapers were 8 of 10 false and after/about this time meteorite reports in newspaers are about 5 out of 10 false.

When I find out more about the event I will report to the list and if I don't hear from Ripley's by Friday of next week, I'll call and bug them again.

Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com