[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Early Evening Geminids: East GA 12-12/13-03

Kim and all,
       I'm sorry to report that conditions for me were far worse than Kim
reports.  Cirrus haze and multi-level clouds in N. Florida pretty much wiped
me out.  I guess because I was closer to the Gulf of Mexico where all this
was coming out of made the difference.  Darn!  Tonight looks even worse for
us, maybe I can get a peek in at the post-max Sunday night, but even that is
iffy.

Hoep eveyone else has better luck!  Paul in N. Fla

>From: "Kim Youmans" <ksyo@bellsouthdot net>
>To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
>Subject: (meteorobs) Early Evening Geminids: East GA 12-12/13-03
>Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:10:24 -0500
>
>     With rain forecast here for tomorrow night, and the moon-free period
>this evening looking like my only shot at the Geminids, Paul Jones and I
>arranged another double-station session for the 7:00- 9:00 PM local time
>period this evening (12-12/13).  Partly cloudy skies today had not abated
>by
>dusk, and I arrived at my site with a sky that was not promising.  The
>first
>hour was unusable for anything resembling a formal observation, but by 7:40
>I had a completely clear, if not translucent, +6.0 sky.
>The only obstruction during the second hour was a contrail that wound
>around
>the sky like the arm of a giant clock.  It may have blocked .05% of the sky
>for a period of ten minutes or so.
>     I saw just one meteor during the cloudy first hour, but it was what I
>had come for -- a bright, beautiful earthgrazer.  At 6:50 local time, with
>the radiant still just below the horizon, a yellow -4 Geminid traveled the
>zodiac from Pisces to near Venus, flaring three times.  If Paul was not
>clouded out, he surely saw it.
>      The count  for the second, clear period (7:43-8:51) was six GEMs and
>one lone SPO, the final Geminid a blue-green -2 just southeast of Aries
>with
>a longish path length.  So I started and finished the two hour session with
>negative magnitude meteors, and given that it was early evening and cloudy
>during the first half of the session, I was pretty satisfied with the
>results.  I'll try to get the usable hour's report posted later this
>weekend.
>
>Kim Youmans

Our best dial-up offer is back.  Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6
months @ $9.95/month now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup