[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids from London,UK

I got out for a couple of hours casual observing from 7UT to 9UT
tonight(13th),from my back garden. LM was around 5,if not slightly
better,with occasional patches of broken cloud,reducing my observing time
by about 15 or 20 minutes. Saw a total of 14 meteors(12 Gem + 2 sporadics).
Did not count one(the best I saw),which was a lovely -3 yellow Geminid
earth grazer travelling around 15-20 degrees close to the SE horizon,which
occurred just as I stepped out of the door! I think I only caught the end
of it.

Also saw 2 pairs which were close together,one of them 1st magnitude
separated by less than a second,and 5 degrees apart,and another pair not
long after,consisting of a -1 and 0 mag,both geminids,separated by about 10
seconds. The other highlight was a hyper-speed 0mag sporadic travelling
around 10 degrees in what I think must have been less than 0.25 of a
second. All in all,one of the best early evening observing sessions I have
ever had,if not the best in my 5 years of meteor observing!

Clear skies,
Leo