[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids from Dallas, Texas

	This is the first time I tried viewing from my back yard; the
numbers were low, but what I saw was nice.  LM was about 3.5, based on
the just-visible nu Cassiopeiae.  My field of view was somewhat
obstructed by nearby (leafless) trees, but I had all the sky my puny
eyes could handle.  I caught two nice bright blue/white Geminids, and
one medium mag/speed yellowish meteor that came from the direction of
Taurus, right through Auriga.  I'm not sure what shower that would be
(maybe southern apex?) so I'm calling it sporadic unless a more
experienced reader feels like setting me straight :)
	Ambient temperature was 34 degrees F, with some wispy low clouds
blowing in around the end of the session.

Date/Time:

Local (Central US):
Dec. 13, 21:15-22:00

UTC:
Dec. 14, 03:15-04:00

Mag distribution:

     -3  -2  -1   0

GEM   1   1   0   0
SPO   0   0   0   1

	The -2 GEM was fast and short, rather close to the radiant; the
-3 lasted 2-3 seconds and glowed a nice bluish-white with a recognizable
trail (despite the light pollution of Big D).

Peter Brunone
Dallas, TX USA