[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Backyard Geminids Galore

   Last night I observed the post maximum Geminids from my backyard under a
more limited LM and with more visual obstruction (trees) yet I still had
fine results in the two hours before the moon became a major nuisance.  A
double station observation with Paul Jones was scrapped when overcast skies
remained during the planned hours (7 -9 PM local) but the last of the clouds
did finally blow out by about 10:00 PM.
   From about 10:10 PM-12:20 AM local time I observed 58 meteors, the vast
majority of them Gems including a -5 that was well out of my FOV but still
managed to catch my eye as it went behind trees in the south.  Rates were
about 25-28 Gems per hour with LM around 5.4-5.7 and 15% obstruction.  There
were plenty of brighter Geminids to be seen.  Don't know that I've ever had
such good rates from my backyard!   The moon was already rising when I
decided I might need sleep if I planned on working today...I'll post the
full report as soon as time allows.

Kim Youmans