[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Backyard Geminids Galore

Hi Kim and all list members,
      Well, North Florida was a complete and total wipeout ALL weekend long!
  It finally cleared up for me here well after midnight this morning.  I
awoke at 0530 to find perfect skies, of course.  Only saw THREE Geminids all
weekend long, through a small "sucker hole" on Saturday night.  So much for
our two-station plans.  What a disaster!  Oh well, now it's on to the Ursids
this coming weekend.  Fortunately, as the song says:  "There's got to be a
morning after"...

Regards to all, Paul in the Ancient City

>From: "Kim Youmans" <ksyo@bellsouthdot net>
>To: <meteorobs@meteorobs.org>
>Subject: (meteorobs) Backyard Geminids Galore
>Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:42:23 -0500
>
>    Last night I observed the post maximum Geminids from my backyard under
>more limited LM and with more visual obstruction (trees) yet I still had
>fine results in the two hours before the moon became a major nuisance.  A
>double station observation with Paul Jones was scrapped when overcast skies
>remained during the planned hours (7 -9 PM local) but the last of the
>clouds
>did finally blow out by about 10:00 PM.
>    From about 10:10 PM-12:20 AM local time I observed 58 meteors, the vast
>majority of them Gems including a -5 that was well out of my FOV but still
>managed to catch my eye as it went behind trees in the south.  Rates were
>about 25-28 Gems per hour with LM around 5.4-5.7 and 15% obstruction.
>There
>were plenty of brighter Geminids to be seen.  Don't know that I've ever had
>such good rates from my backyard!   The moon was already rising when I
>decided I might need sleep if I planned on working today...I'll post the
>full report as soon as time allows.
>
>Kim Youmans
>
>The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
>To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:
>http://www.meteorobs.org/subscribe.html

Winterize your home with tips from MSN House & Home.