[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Before, During, and After Ursid Maximum

George Gliba made a very good point in his latest posting.  If observers
have the time to devote to monitoring the Ursids, watching  before and after
the 23 December maximum will be very useful.  This is because Ursid rates
are as unknown before and after Ursid maxima as they are at maxima!

I suggest that if you are able to watch before and after, and you observe
from low or mid-northern latitudes, watch the Ursids in the predawn hours.
This is because the radiant is highest in the early morning.  If you observe
from high northern latitudes, then early evening observation would also be
good, simply because your latitude "lifts" the radiant higher in the sky
than it is from lower latitudes.

Good reading before observing is also Gary Kronk's meteor shower information
at:

http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/ursids.html

We will also benefit from reading Bob Lunsford's weekly meteor bulletin
after it comes out today!

Best wishes,

Richard Taibi

Working moms: Find helpful tips here on managing kids, home, work —  and
yourself.   http://special.msn.com/msnbc/workingmom.armx