[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Aurora images online

Maria,

>I haven't seen any of the vivid colors everyone else is seeing.

I am nowhere near as experienced at aurora observing as I am at meteors
being a Florida boy, but I have seen one display from this latitude (29
degrees 56 minutes) back in 1982.  It did NOT look anything even close to
all the pictures I had seen.  In fact, I didn't even know what it was, at
first!  It was only after hearing the news reports the next day that I was
convinced.   There were no vivid colors and no "curtain" type pattern that
shows up so well in pictures.  All I recall, it was a faint, pinkish,
ghost-like shimmering glow that seemed to "pulse and dance" through almost
the entire sky at once randomly.  Lots of rapid motion was evident, I
recall, as if it was blowing past above my head, in a very high wind.  There
was no real structure and no brightness associated with it.  More like
something out of "Star Trek" really!  Like I said, it kinda scared me at
first and the fact it was an aurora was the farthest thing from my mind
while I was watching it.  Perhaps our more northern folks would like to
chime in on visual appearance of aurorae (if it is not too off-topic).
Since you are likely to see the one while you are looking for the other,
however, maybe it isn't OT??
Regards, Paul in N. Fla.