[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) f yi more ripley's Believe it or not meteors/meteorites

Here is the latest information on the eclipse and fireball stuff that I have
managed to find out concerning that Ripley's believe it or not information I
found it in one of Ripley's books.

It seems, as I read it from the information that I found, that a lighthouse
was hit by a "lightning type of fireball" and not a meteoroid fireball.
Also about the fact that a a cruiser/ship was hit by a Meteor type fireball
as it said in the book and that that most of the men jumped ship after the
strike. It seems that the fireball took place about the same time as that
lighthouse was struck but once again not a meteor fireball but a lightning strike.
While a ship was close to shore when the ship was destroyed, a few members
survived. However if it was close to shore, why did it take so long for those
crewmembers to get to shore. Mystery again?

The other meteorite tale seems to be true and well documented though.
Dr. Eric Flescher (kcstarguy@aol.com)
FGU astronomy consultant, Harvard U.-
Member, ASKC (Astronomical Society of Kansas City), Comet Observers Award
Moderator, Astronomical League.
(http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/obsclub.html) (http://members.aol.com/kcstarguy/blacksun/cometaward.htm); State of
Kansas- Solar System Ambassador - JPL (Jet Propulson Lab);
 7 total solar eclipses and counting
(send messages to the network at ) CometObserversAwardAL@yahoogroups.com;
Subscribe to have your name on the  listserve by sending email to  :
CometObserversAwardAL-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

**
Greetings
Well I was the first one to hear about this and tell you all about it to find
more. I would like to update what I have found for your information.

Regarding my original transcription that I found in a book at one of my
middle schools in Kansas (part of the read a book program) - see below).

The meteorite that hit the car is well explained and everything correct as I
wrote it except I got the name of the town wrong.  One person even said he saw
the meteor.

The 1907 was another storm to explain however. I did a number of searches on
the internet and found the information and websites (see below).

I found this at
http://www.southwestlife.com.au/history1201.htm

AND this is where it got confusing. It appears that a "fireball" hit the
station but that is was not a "meteorite" type fireball but one related to
lightning.

The following was said
"
Of course, you can't have a lighthouse without shipwreck stories. Cape
Naturaliste Lighthouse has many, but one of the most interesting is the Carnarvon
Castle, which caught fire off the coast in 1907. The ship was a fair way out to
sea, and the crew members had to jump ship. The 14 survivors floated in
lifeboats in the Indian Ocean for 27 days before reaching Cape Naturaliste. The
lighthouse keeper at the time, Patrick Baird, and his family, took them in and
cared for them until they were OK to travel again."

It seems that crew did jump ship from sort of a lightning "fireball" but that
is was not "meteor" in nature. I am not sure why it took so long for the crew
who did survive , to make it to shore. I also did  not see any mention of the
name of the ship called "eclipse."

So all is well concerning the meteorite hitting the car. But I think the
information about the meteor hitting the ship was not correct as far as I can
fathom.

Well this is what I have so far. Thanks for your interest.

****
"In Ripley's Believe it or not a book for kids there was this :

On Oct 9, 1992 a Michelle Knapp of Peeksville, NY found that a a big
meteorite hit her truck/car which landed with a foul smelling odor.

She got paid for the "meteorite tricking car" and also got $50,000 for the
Meteorite!

Also

in 1907, it was told that a meteor struck the sailship Eclipse in the mid
Pacific ocean. The mast was carried and only 3 of the crew survived on a
Lifeboat. They rowed 900 miles to Hawaii in 13 days.

Anyone every heard of either particular the 1907 one?

Dr. Eric Flescher "

***
These are some other resources I found.

The Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse
1907 was an eventful year for this lighthouse with the wreck of the Carnarvon
Castle and the impact of a fireball on the tower and quarters. ...
www.lighthousedot net.au/lights/WA/Cape%20Naturaliste/ Cape%20Naturaliste.htm

http://www.southwestlife.com.au/history1201.htm
Of course, you can't have a lighthouse without shipwreck stories. Cape
Naturaliste Lighthouse has many, but one of the most interesting is the Carnarvon
Castle, which caught fire off the coast in 1907. The ship was a fair way out to
sea, and the crew members had to jump ship. The 14 survivors floated in
lifeboats in the Indian Ocean for 27 days before reaching Cape Naturaliste. The
lighthouse keeper at the time, Patrick Baird, and his family, took them in and
cared for them until they were OK to travel again.
Other shipwreck stories are common in this area, often involving the
lighthouse keepers plucking people out of the stormy sea.

And what about the fireball? Patrick Baird was having an eventful year in
1907. He had already saved the people from the Carnarvon Castle shipwreck, and
then it's reported that a very heavy storm hit the lighthouse later in the year,
during which a fireball struck the tower. The force of the explosion
shattered windows, ripped up pathways, destroyed furniture, and knocked Mr Baird
unconscious.

Other meteorite falls
http://www2.state.id.us/bdsmitigation/asteroids.html

File J2 of 2 "J" Files
... the British Astronomical Assn, The Major Fireball of 1980 ... Franklin
Institute, Meteoric
Shower During the Eclipse, 1869, ... of Canada, A Case of Globular Lightning,
1907, ...
www.project1947.com/shg/j2.htm - 65k - Cached - Similar pages

***