[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball

Earlier tonight I saw the end of a very bright fireball that
was blue-white like a welder's torch, with orange as it
fragmented.  I had been looking NW with binoculars when the
bright light above and to my left in my peripheral vision
attracted my attention to look up in time to see it.  My
fellow observer shouted at the same time that I looked up.
He did not see it but said that it lit up the ground, but
probably not as bright as the full Moon.  It was westbound
and fragmented high in the west, just below the Great Square
of Pegasus  I've submitted a report via the IMO online form.

After praising the Geminids, I was disappointed to miss them
due to having enough back trouble, combined with moonlight
and cold (freezing, really cold for central Texas), to
discourage me.  The evening after the maximum, early Dec 15
UTC, I did see about half a dozen of them casually, including
a long one low in the east that was at least -2 magnitude.

It's cloudy this morning and may be cloudy tonight (Monday
PM local time), but if not I hope to see some URSIDs.

Ed Cannon - ecannon @ mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA