[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Ursid peak East Central GA

   The third night of my Ursid "expedition" was again successful this AM,
although the skies here had deteriorated quite a bit from the previous two
nights.  This morning, especially during my first period, I had to deal with
very thin cirrus which often imparted a psuedo Milky Way appearance to parts
of the sky.  The second period was much better and LM's rose back up into
the +6 range.  Rates also improved at that time.
     I haven't transcribed my tape yet, but I saw perhaps three or four
Ursids at best during the period 7:51-9:54.  Overall rates were not as good
as the previous morning, with about 31 meteors seen in two hours.  If one
had wanted to just see more meteors, Monday morning was much better.  Of
course, my LM's probably influenced that somewhat.  But there were no bursts
of activity this morning, either, unlike yesterdays session.
     I paid more careful attention to my COM alignments this morning.  There
were at least 5-7 high-speed  meteors that all met back at central Leo.
Since I was facing west the past two nights, any of these meteors spotted in
the W or SW would have aligned with the nearby NAPX radiant also. My guess
is these meteors were more active on the 21/22 and they polluted my NAPX
totals as I did see quite a few of these in the west yesterday.  Whatever
they were, they sure outshined the Ursids this year.
     I'll try and get my full report posted soon, happy holidays everyone!

Kim Youmans