[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Ursid rates 1996 and 2000 (Re: Ursids a bust?)

> The last time there was a rate enhancement [of Ursids] was in 1993.

....and in 1996, and in 2000.

1996: ZHR 30-35, observed by Jurgen Rendtel (Potsdam, Germany) and me
(Voorschoten, Netherlands) during the last moonless hours of the night 22-23
december.

2000: this became hotly disputed afterwards, but it is a fact that European
observers, including myself, saw rates rising in the pre-dawn hours up to
ZHR 20-25. This should then have peaked over the US and whether or not it
did then became subject of discussion. The European results, however, are by
multiple observers under good observing conditions, and show rates were
enhanced up to the moment dawn set in in Europe.

Marco

------
Dr Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)