[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Viewing the Quadrantids

  Hi:

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 20:43, Robert Lunsford wrote:
> It is thought that this shower is related to the recently discovered
> asteroid 2003 EH1. Peter Jenniskens, who discovered this relationship,
> states that this object is most likely an extinct comet nucleus that appears
> to be the remnant of a larger object that broke up about 500 years ago.

 Are you sure it is an extinct comet? ;)

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/12/31/MNGCC4152J1.DTL

«Last month, astronomer Peter Jenniskens of the SETI Institute in
Mountain View, who regularly hunts the sky for comets, asteroids and
meteors, predicted that the source of the meteor shower would eventually
be confirmed as the dim burnt-out core of an ancient star that must have
exploded in violent brilliance more than 500 million years ago».

  Good nights... of observing, and happy new year!

--
Víctor R. Ruiz           | - Todos estos momentos se perderán
http://infoastro.com/rvr |   como lágrimas en la lluvia