[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) NAMN Notes: January 2004

**************************
NAMN Notes:  January  2004
**************************

Introduction:
NAMN Notes is a monthly newsletter produced by the North American Meteor
Network, and is available both via email and on the NAMN website at:
http://www.namnmeteors.org

Contents:

1.  Happy New Year!...
2.  The Quadrantids - Views and News...
3.  Other January Meteor Activity...
4.  Index to 2003 NAMN Notes...
5.  Upcoming Meetings...
6.  For more info...

1.  Happy New Year!...

The North American Meteor Network wishes you all a Happy New Year!
We hope that 2004 will bring you all clear skies, dark nights, and lots of
meteors!

Throughout the year, we will try to keep you well-informed about the meteor
showers that are visible in your skies and other news that we think you will
be interested in.  We will also try to provide interesting links to further
reading, so you can learn more about the particular topics that interest you
most.

For a excellent overview of the meteor activity for 2004, the best
information source is the IMO 2004 Meteor Shower Calendar, published by the
International Meteor Organization.  It is available free of charge online at
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal04.html.  It is also available in French,
Russian, Spanish and Slovak at http://www.imodot net

For a great bimonthly publication on meteors, with excellent articles on
meteor studies, history, and observing projects being carried out around the
globe, consider membership in the IMO.  Membership costs $20 U.S. for
regular membership, with newsletter by surface mail.  Send check or money
order payable to "Mr. Robert Lunsford" to Mr. Robert Lunsford, IMO
Secretary-General, 161 Vance Street, Chula Vista, CA 91910, U.S.A.  More
info can be found at http://www.imodot net.

If you are new to meteor observing, check out some of the following websites
for some great reading:

For learning the sky, the Hawaiian Astronomical Society's
'Constellations - Stories and a Deepsky Atlas' :
http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky/index.html

For learning about meteors and the whole solar system,
'The Nine Planets, by Bill Arnett' :
http://www.seds.org/nineplanets/nineplanets/nineplanets.html

For learning how to record meteors, our NAMN Observing Guide:
http://www.namnmeteors.org/guide.html

For learning more about meteors and their parent bodies,
'Comets and Meteor Showers, by Gary Kronk':
http://comets.amsmeteors.org

For learning about other types of moving objects in our skies,
'Heavens Above':
http://www.heavens-above.com

Have questions on meteors and observing?  Drop a note to our friendly NAMN
Coordinator, Mark Davis at meteors@comcastdot net

This coming year promises to be a busy one for meteor observers on both
sides of the globe.  Besides our major meteor showers, there are many minor
showers in need of observation.  The meteor researchers welcome all data!
As Lew Gramer, our Public Outreach Coordinator, once commented - you might
be the only person in the whole world out observing on a particular night -
so your observations are very valuable!

The International Meteor Conference (IMC) of the International Meteor
Organization is being held this year in Varna, Bulgaria from September 23rd
to 26th.  This is the worldwide meeting for amateur meteor observers and
professionals alike.  On the North American side, the Meteoroids 2004
conference will be held in London, Ontario, Canada from August 16th to 21st.
This is a professional meeting, but serious amateurs should check out the
details.  Details are in our 'Upcoming Meetings' section.

Whatever your meteor interests are, we at NAMN wish you all the best for
this coming year - Happy 2004!

2.  The Quadrantids - Views and News...

The Quadrantids (QUA) are the first major shower of 2004 - and hold special
interest this year!  For North American observers, the narrow period of
maximum activity actually falls at night!

These meteors can be seen from about January 1st to 5th, but reach a maximum
on January 4th at about 6h UT for visual observers, according to the
International Meteor Organization (IMO).  It is a sharp maximum - so
geographic location plays a role in the rates you will see.  ZHR rates at
maximum - and only for a handful of hours - are about 120 meteors per hour.
That is the number of meteors that an observer would expect to see if they
were out under a dark country sky, and if the radiant, the area in the sky
where the meteors seem to come from, is directly overhead.  Note that.  Will
we have a dark sky?  There will be a moon - so rates will not be optimum.
Try to face away from the moon so you don't destroy your night vision - or
block the moon with a tree or some obstruction.

The Quadrantids are average velocity meteors at about 41 km per second.
The radiant at maximum will be at 230 degrees, ie. RA 15h 19.8m, Dec +49,
which is in northern Bootes.  A map can be found at
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal03.html#Quadrantids

For observers interested in recording data on the Quadrantids for the meteor
researchers, take a look at the NAMN Observing Guide at
http://www.namnmeteors.org/guide.html.  The information to record while
observing includes such items as the time the meteor occurred, its magnitude
(brightness), the shower it belongs to, its speed, and other comments such
as train left behind or color.  General information to record includes such
things as how dark your perceived sky is (limiting magnitude) and comments
on weather and cloud cover.  Forms to record your observations can be found
at http://www.namnmeteors.org/namn_form.html and
http://www.namnmeteors.org/appendixC.html.

A set of 4 star maps that you can use while observing - to mark the radiant
on, and with magnitudes of standard stars marked - can be printed off from
our website at http://www.namnmeteors.org/charts.html.  Questions on what to
record, or how, can be sent to our NAMN Coordinator at meteors@comcastdot net.

News flash:  So, what is this news on the Quadrantids?

The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has recently issued a
Circular through their Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams - with news
on the parent body for the Quadrantid meteor shower.  According to the
Circular, Peter Jenniskens of the NASA Ames Research Center has announced
that "2003 EH_1... would seem to be a very strong candidate for the parent
of the Quadrantid meteor stream".  It states that "the current theoretical
radiant for 2003 EH_1... is at the center of the Quadrantid radiants
measured by photographic means, the narrow dispersion implying a young
(about 500 years) shower age.  From that dispersion, Jenniskens et al....
suspected that the parent was still among the meteoroids, hiding as a minor
planet".  The Circular states that "further light could be shed on the
problem by the recognition of precovery and/or recovery observations of 2003
EH_1, which is presumably a comet and that should in any case be considered
a high-priority object for further study".  More details are available at
http://leonid.arc.nasadot gov/IAUCircular2003Dec8.txt

The San Jose Astronomical Association (SJAA) has an article by Peter
Jenniskens which gives more detail.  Jenniskens writes (quoted from
http://ephemeris.sjaadot net/0401/e.html):

"Our fellow observers of the Dutch Meteor Society stumbled on a clear night
on 1995 January 03, with no disturbing Moon light.  This rare occasion led
to a rich harvest in multi-station photographed and video orbits, which were
reduced by Hans Betlem and Marc de Lignie.  I analyzed those results to find
that all good trajectories clustered near the same radiant and speed,
implying that this is a very young shower, no older than about 500 years.
In our paper, published in Astronomy Astrophysics in 1997, I predicted that
the comet was still among the meteoroids and now hidden from plain view by
ceasing to be active and looking like a mere asteroid."

"... I came across my 1997 writings and decided to check the catalog of
asteroid orbits again to see if a near-Earth asteroid had been found in an
orbit close to that of the Quadrantids.  To my great excitement, there was."

"I suspect that the shower was created during a breakup...  Comet breakups
can occur quite silently, but this one may have had a record.  Ishiro
Hasegawa calculated a parabolic orbit for comet C1490 Y1 from observations
made in China, Korea and Japan between Dec 31.5, 1490 and Feb. 12.5, 1491,
and pointed out the similarity with the orbit of the Quadrantids...
Williams and Wu... proposed that a close encounter with Jupiter in 1650
ejected this bright comet into a much different orbit (leaving the
Quadrantid shower in place), in order to explain that the comet has not been
observed since."

Jenniskens sums up with "we can not exclude that C/1490 Y1 was a prior
sighting of the Quadrantid parent at the epoch when it created the shower".

All meteor observers are encouraged to get out and take a look at the
Quadrantid meteor shower.  This is a great example of meteor data recorded
by serious amateurs being used by the professionals to gain valuable
information on the source of the meteors we see!

3.  Other January Meteor Activity...

The Coma Berenicids (COM) reached maximum on December 20th but last
until about January 23rd.  The radiant at maximum was at 175
degrees, ie. RA 11h 40.2m, Dec +25, which was about 10 degrees north of the
bright star Denebola in the triangle of Leo.  Radiants do move over time
though!  To see the radiant movement throughout January, check out the map
at http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal03.html#Coma-Berenicids.  These are fast
meteors at about 65 km per second.  ZHR rates were about 5 meteors per hour
at maximum, but will be lower this month.

The delta Cancrids (DCA) reach a maximum on January 17th but can be seen
from about January 1st to 24th.  These are slow meteors with a velocity of
about 28 km per second.  ZHR rates at maximum will be about 4 meteors per
hour.  The radiant at maximum will be at 130 degrees, ie. RA 8h 40.2m, Dec
+20, which is about the same location as the star cluster known as M44, the
Beehive Cluster.  This cluster appears as a fuzzy patch with the unaided
eye, and is just past the halfway point on a line between Regulus in Leo and
Pollux in Gemini.  A map showing the movement of the radiant throughout
January can be found at
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal04.html#delta-Cancrids  The IMO states
that "this minor shower of predominantly faint meteors is well-suited to
telescopic observations, with a large, complex, diffuse radiant that
probably consists of several sub-centers.  Visual observers should assume
a minimum radiant size of roughly 20 degrees in alpha by 10 degrees in
delta about the radiant point given above.  This type of large, loose
radiant area is similar to the Virginids, and the delta-Cancrids are
probably an early part of the Virginid activity...  Recent observations
have suggested the peak may occur close to...  January 11."

The alpha Centaurids (ACE) start to become active about January 28th,
although won't reach a maximum until February 8th.  These are average
velocity meteors at about 56 km per second.  ZHR rates at maximum will be
about 6 meteors per hour, but rates in January will be lower.  A map showing
the radiant can be found at
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal02.html#alpha-Centaurids.  This is primarily
a southern hemisphere shower - but one which can produce fireballs and
outbursts.

The Virginids (VIR) start to become active about January 25th and will last
until about April 15th.  These are almost slow meteors at about 30 km per
second.  ZHR rates are about 5 meteors per hour.  On January 30th, the
radiant will be at 157 degrees, ie. RA 10h 28.2m, Dec +16, which is about 6
degrees up to the left of Regulus in Leo on a star atlas.

For information on daytime meteor showers, mainly of interest to radio
observers, check out the IMO website at http://www.imodot net

Besides recognized main showers and other minor showers, there is also
sporadic meteor activity in January.  This sporadic activity is about 7
meteors per hour visible to the unaided eye.  This activity is comprised
partly of random meteors and partly of meteors that belong to long-ago, now
untraceable showers.

This month, the phases of the moon are as follows:
Wed.   Jan.  7     full moon
Thurs. Jan. 15     last quarter
Wed.   Jan. 21     new moon
Thurs. Jan. 29     first quarter

Planets at midmonth, and their magnitudes, for northern observers, are:
Mercury    0.0  very low in southeast in morning sky
Venus     -4.0  very low in southwest in evening sky
Mars       0.4  in Pisces
Jupiter   -2.3  in Leo
Saturn    -0.4 in Gemini

The planets are very good standards for estimating the magnitude of bright
meteors.  For a map showing the planets' positions in your sky, go to
http://www.heavens-above.com  and Select your location, then go to 'Whole
Sky Chart'.

4.  Index to 2003 NAMN Notes...

The following is an index to articles in NAMN Notes for 2003. The
issues can be found in the MeteorObs archives at http://www.meteorobs.org
by selecting 'Browse Archive by Month'.

January 2003
Quadrantids...
A Comet to Start the New Year...
Other January Showers...
Index to 2002 NAMN Notes...

February 2003
Memories of Columbia...
February Meteor Showers...
Another Comet for Winter Observers...
Winter Reading for Cold Nights...

March 2003
March Meteor Showers...
Websites for Cold Winter Nights...

April 2003
Spring Brings the Lyrids...
Other April Meteor Showers...

May 2003
Eta-Aquarids - Debris from Halley's Comet...
Other May Meteor Showers...
International Astronomy Day...

June 2003
Meteors from the Mythical Bootes...
Other June Meteor Showers...
NAMN Brochure and Handouts...
IMO, the International Meteor Organization...

July 2003
The South Delta Aquarids...
The Other Aquarids...
Other Meteor Showers of July...

August 2003
August 2003 - My 60th Issue!... by C.L. Hall
Perseids, the 'Shower of the Summer'...
The Aquarid Complex in August...
Lots of Other August Activity...

September 2003
The Alpha-Aurigids...
The Aries-Triangulid Meteors... by George Gliba
Other September Meteor Activity...
Pro-Am Cooperation for Comet Observers...

October 2003
Orionids - from Halley's Comet...
Draconids - from Comet Giacobini-Zinner...
Other October Meteor Activity...

November 2003
Leonids - Debris from Comet Tempel-Tuttle...
Alpha Monocerotids to Monitor...
Other November Meteor Activity...
The Comet Connection...

December 2003
Geminids - Debris from an Asteroid...
Other December Activity...
Christmas Ideas for Meteor Observers...

5. Upcoming Meetings...

June 4-6, 2004, Paris, France...
IWCA III, the Third International Workshop on Cometary Astronomy, will be
held at the Meudon and Paris Observatories in Paris, France.
The workshop announcement states that "its main objective is to promote
cometary observations among amateur astronomers and optimize the benefit of
these observations for the use by professional astronomers...  it shall be
an opportunity for amateurs to meet professionals and exchange about their
techniques".  Topics to be discussed include comet photometry, outgassing
rates, imaging with filters and spectroscopy, astrometry, observation of
trans-neptunians by amateurs, discovery and automatic sky surveys, space
missions to comets, and internet tools.  Information can be found
at http://www2.iap.fr/saf/IWCAIII.  The contact for information is
Nicholas Biver, nicolas.biver@obspm.fr.  There is some financial support
available for participants from eastern Europe or other countries with
limited financial resources.  The workshop has been timed to coincide with
the transit of Venus on June 8th, visible from France.

August 16-21, 2004, London, Ontario, Canada...
Meteoroids 2004 will be held in eastern Canada, at the University of Western
Ontario in London.  Experimental and observational methods discussed will
include optical observations of meteors including ground-based visual,
photographic, video, and telescopic techniques, satellite observations of
meteors in various passbands, measurements of meteoric atoms in the
atmosphere by lidars and other techniques, acoustic measurements using
infrasound and seismic detection techniques, radio detection of meteors
including VLF and ELF, meteor and large aperture radar observations, and
observations, in-situ satellite and laboratory measurements of dust and
meteorite material.  Scientific areas discussed will include such topics as
dynamics of sporadic, shower and interstellar meteoroids, physics and
chemistry of meteoroids and their interaction processes in the atmosphere,
fireball and bolide phenomenology, mineralogy of extraterrestrial materials,
hypervelocity impacts on spacecraft, meteoroid models and flux, and
interrelation of meteoroids, meteorites, IDP's, asteroids and comets.  To
receive further announcements directly on this, email meteoroids2004@uwodot ca.
The website for the conference is at http://www.uwodot ca/meteoroids2004

September 23-26, 2004, Varna, Bulgaria...
The International Meteor Conference (IMC) of the International Meteor
Organization is being held this year in Varna, Bulgaria.  This is the
worldwide meeting for meteor observers - both amateurs and professionals
alike.  It is a great opportunity to meet observers from around the globe
and learn about research and projects being carried out.  Details will
be posted on the IMO website at http://www.imodot net

For more information on upcoming astronomy meetings, see: "International
Astronomy Meetings List" at http://cadcwww.hia.nrcdot ca/meetings

6.  For more info...

NAMN email: namn@atmob.org
NAMN website: http://www.namnmeteors.org

Mark Davis, meteors@comcastdot net
Goose Creek, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network

Cathy Hall, chall@cyberusdot ca
Metcalfe, Ontario, Canada
Writer, NAMN Notes

Lew Gramer, dedalus@alum.mitdot edu
Medford, Massachusetts, USA
Coordinator, Public Outreach
Owner/Moderator, 'MeteorObs'

Kevin Kilkenny, namnfireball@earthlinkdot net
Staten Island, New York, USA
Coordinator, Fireballs and Meteorites

Back issues of NAMN Notes can be found online at the NAMN website and in
the MeteorObs archives at:
http://www.meteorobs.org by selecting 'Browse Archive by Month'

To subscribe to the meteor email list:
Contact Lew Gramer at: dedalus@alum.mitdot edu

Here's to 'Clear Skies' for January...

January 2004 NAMN Notes
written by Cathy Hall & edited by Mark Davis