[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Spanish daylight meteor video

Hello,

Check this out! On the Dutch TV journal website is a very fine amateur video
of the Spanish daylight fireball of January 4th. Go to:

http://www.omroepdot nl/nos/nieuws/index.html

....and scroll down untill you get at "Spanjaarden schrikken van
vuurballen". There you can get a streaming RealPlayer video.

The video rules out both satellite debris and the Quadrantid stream. The
first because the fireball is simply too fast and short in duration. The
second because it can be seen to be high in the sky coming in under a steep
angle, towards the setting sun (see shadow on building in the video). This
rules out a Quadrantid, as the angle is too steep and the direction of
movement the wrong way (the Quadrantid radiant was at a mere 12 degrees
above the northwest horizon at that time). This is a sporadic fireball (and
given its velocity possibly cometary of origin). I would think the meteor is
too fast to make a surviving meteorite likely.

- Marco (with thanks to Judith who put me to this video on the web)

------
Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society
Leiden, the Netherlands