[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: [Space Flight Now] Scientists elated with initial Stardust comet flyby results

There's been much well-deserved hubbub the past few weeks
over the Mars missions, both the successful (Mars Express,
Spirit), the tragically less fortunate (Nozomi), and also
those still to come (Opportunity, and of course the world
still holds out hope for the prodigal Beagle 2)...

However, in the glare of this coverage, another very impor-
tant space mission has also achieved great scientific res-
ults, and been little heard from in the world's press:

 http://www.spaceflightnow.com/stardust/040102success.html

Stardust is the first comet sample return mission - and it
was "lucky" enough to fly right through two outgassing jets
of cometary debris on its flyby last week! So the most ex-
citing part of this story may be yet to come - in 2 years,
when the samples are returned safely (we hope!) to Earth...

Clear skies and many meteors!
Lew Gramer