[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Predicting meteor shower

> I have a question!  If you know the solar longitude from last years
> tables of meteor showers, to predict the times of this years shower can
> you just go to this years table of solar longitude at,
>
>        http://amsmeteors.org/imo-mirror/solarlong/sol04.html
>
> and locate the date and time of the shower for 2004 for example?  The
> thing that confuses me is that the table of meteor showers I am using
> show the solar longitude as "lambda (2000)"  which would imply that we
> use the 2,000 table at,

You are right about the conversion of a solar longitude into
any year's date. The J2000 tag behind all the lambdas denotes
the reference coordinate system; it is not the year the longitude
was taken from. It is sufficient if you know that the J2000
tag was there when you used a solar longitude, because then
the tables in http://amsmeteors.org/imo-mirror/solarlong/
are valid.

So take a solar longitude of a given shower, e.g. Lyrids 32.32
and look this time up in sol04.html and you'll gat a fair
estimate of the peak in 2004.

Best wishes,
Rainer

--