[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball Report Wed, Jan 7 @ around 4pm, Robbinsville/Hamilton NJ border (fwd)

----------------------  Forwarded Message:  ---------------------
From:    NAMN Fireball Reports <namn@atmob.org>
Cc:      cdenito@yahoo.com
Subject: Fireball Report Wed, Jan 7 @ around 4pm, Robbinsville/Hamilton NJ border
Date:    Wed, 28 Jan 2004 02:01:29 -0500 (EST)

----

Your Name? Carrie

Your Town/State/Country? Robbinsville/NJ/USA

Date and Time? Wed, Jan 7 @ around 4pm

What compass direction did the fireball appear from? SE

What compass direction did the fireball DISAPPEAR from? SE

How long, in seconds, were you able to see it in the sky? 15

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it APPEARED?
(As a reference, a closed fist held at arm's length is
approximately 10 degrees.)
  35

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it DISAPPEARED? 10

How bright did it appear?
Like a star, Venus, the Moon, or the setting Sun?
  Venus then Moon

Did it have any color(s)? orange

Did it appear to fall apart as it went by? What did that look like?
  dissipated as it grew closer to horizon, but did not seem to fall apart into
smaller pieces

Did it leave a persistent streak in the sky after it was gone?
How long did that last?
  no

How fast did it move? Use a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being
VERY slow, and 5 being extremely quick.
  2.5

Did you hear a sound?
If yes, what was the time delay from sighting to sound?
  no sound

What is the closest Town/State to where you saw the fireball?
  Robbinsville/Hamilton NJ border

Please put any additional remarks, sketches, drawings, etc. below:
  I was driving in my car on Edinburg Road just before sunset while I spotted it
in the sky. At first I thought it might be a shooting star in the distance,
however, it lingered, and began to fall at a slower, downward slope (as opposed
to the quick diagonal streak of shooting stars I've seen), and the "thing" began
to get larger, brighter, and take on an orange glow. That's when I turned onto
the next street and pulled over to get a better view. As it continued its
descent, it resembled falling debris from our recent space shuttle explosion. I
rolled my car window down in attempt to hear it fall, but I couldn't detect a
sound. It seemed to pick up speed and shrink as it drew closer to the ground,
and then it finally "disappeared" in the atmosphere at about 10 degress above
the horizon.