[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball Report 25 February 2004 19:42: Truro Nova Scotia closer to the area of Bible Hill (fwd)

----------------------  Forwarded Message:  ---------------------
From:    NAMN Fireball Reports <namn@atmob.org>
Cc:      sylviet@ns.sympaticodot ca
Subject: Fireball Report 25 February 2004 19:42: Truro Nova Scotia closer to the area of Bible Hill
Date:    Mon,  8 Mar 2004 20:18:57 -0500 (EST)

----

Your Name? Sylvie Theriault

Your Town/State/Country? Dartmouth Nova Scotia Canada

Date of fireball? 25 February 2004

Time of fireball? 19:42

What compass direction did the fireball appear from? south

What compass direction did the fireball DISAPPEAR from? south

How long, in seconds, were you able to see it in the sky? 8

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it APPEARED?
(As a reference, a closed fist held at arm's length is
approximately 10 degrees.)
  10

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it DISAPPEARED? 10

How bright did it appear?
Like a star, Venus, the Moon, or the setting Sun?
  brighter than the Northern Star

Did it have any color(s)? white bluish

Did it appear to fall apart as it went by? What did that look like?
  it looked like it disentegrated as it moved along.  see additional remarks

Did it leave a persistent streak in the sky after it was gone?
How long did that last?
  not when it was gone, the streak was while it was moving

How fast did it move? Use a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being
VERY slow, and 5 being extremely quick.
  2

Did you hear a sound?
If yes, what was the time delay from sighting to sound?
  No

What is the closest Town/State to where you saw the fireball?
  Truro Nova Scotia closer to the area of Bible Hill

Please put any additional remarks, sketches, drawings, etc. below:
  I was travelling from Truro Novas Scotia to Dartmouth Nova Scotia the night of
Feb 25, 2004, on HWY
102.  I left Eastmoore St in Truro (close to NS Agricultural College in
Bible Hill) at 19:30. At about 19:42, I saw an object that looked like
a  meteorite travelling in the  same
direction as I was and it seemed quite close above the tree line and
quite large compared to stars (much bigger and brighter than the
Northern star).  It had a
white/blueish colour with a long trail of light behind it; I would
estimate the trail at 30-40 feet long. It was not a falling start and it
certainely was not a plane.

I would describe this object as being in the air as opposite to being in
the sky (like stars).  My sighting lasted about 8 seconds (not counting
the seconds I had to look ahead for traffic, so add another 4 sec to
that).  I estimate that I was travelling between
100-110 km/per hr. It caught up with my speed and gradually passed me
and disappeared (disintegrated???) Any reports of a "strange object" in
the sky that
night?