[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball Report 3/9/2004 9:30-10:30 pm: It was south of Lima, OH , looked to be north of Dayton OH (fwd)

----------------------  Forwarded Message:  ---------------------
From:    NAMN Fireball Reports <namn@atmob.org>
Cc:      rxprlh1@yahoo.com
Subject: Fireball Report 3/9/2004 9:30-10:30 pm: It was south of Lima, OH , looked to be north of Dayton OH
Date:    Wed, 10 Mar 2004 00:42:22 -0500 (EST)

----

Your Name? Ronda Healy

Your Town/State/Country? Lima, Ohio, USA

Date of fireball? 3/9/2004

Time of fireball? 9:30-10:30 pm

What compass direction did the fireball appear from? SW

What compass direction did the fireball DISAPPEAR from? SE

How long, in seconds, were you able to see it in the sky? 6 sec

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it APPEARED?
(As a reference, a closed fist held at arm's length is
approximately 10 degrees.)
  85

How many degrees off the horizon was it when it DISAPPEARED? 45

How bright did it appear?
Like a star, Venus, the Moon, or the setting Sun?
  Like the burning space shuttle falling to earth..

Did it have any color(s)? yellow/white

Did it appear to fall apart as it went by? What did that look like?
  It was in 2 phases...may have been clouds obscuring it for a moment .. there
was only one piece round with a tail

Did it leave a persistent streak in the sky after it was gone?
How long did that last?
  No. but it did have a distinct tail and was gone quite quickly

How fast did it move? Use a 1 to 5 scale, 1 being
VERY slow, and 5 being extremely quick.
  2-3  I've seen one shoot across the sky from left to right faster than
anything manmade could travel. This looked like it was truely falling

Did you hear a sound?
If yes, what was the time delay from sighting to sound?
  No I was inside the house. I was watching TV and it attracted my attention
through the window in the vaulted ceiling

What is the closest Town/State to where you saw the fireball?
  It was south of Lima, OH , looked to be north of Dayton OH

Please put any additional remarks, sketches, drawings, etc. below:
  It looked like a plane had exploded in the sky and was falling. It was large
though and I expect to see a fire when it hit. Of course it was probably far
away. It came from a fairly vertical position and didn't have much left to right
drift. It had a very distinct firey appearance to the tail.