[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Chicago fire??

I think that this all stems from Ignatius Donnelly's 1882 book
"Atlantis," which makes the suggestion that fragments of Biela's Comet
caused the Chicago and midwest fires.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/rag/rag32.htm

Late last month there was a major conference sponsored by the Aerospace
Corporation on the possibility of mitigating impacts from asteroids,
comets, and NEOs, and one of the speakers, Dr Robert Wood, gave a paper
on the Biela's Comet/Chigago Fire theory. (Other attendees included
folks like US Air Force Gen Simon Worden, who directed the Clementine
deep-space probe project).

Joel Carpenter