[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) re: Chicago fire??

Thank you Joel.
Your information is the timely. What is the original source of the
Chicago fire - a legend or myth.? Or an accident of a cow?
(Please before it goes further,  I understand that some myths and
legends do have their bases in  a fragmeted fact.)
Fini.

George John Drobnock

I think that this all stems from Ignatius Donnelly's 1882 book
                "Atlantis," which makes the suggestion that fragments of
Biela's
                Comet
                caused the Chicago and midwest fires.

                http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/rag/rag32.htm

                Late last month there was a major conference sponsored
by the
                Aerospace
                Corporation on the possibility of mitigating impacts
from
                asteroids,
                comets, and NEOs, and one of the speakers, Dr Robert
Wood, gave a
                paper
                on the Biela's Comet/Chigago Fire theory. (Other
attendees
                included
                folks like US Air Force Gen Simon Worden, who directed
the
                Clementine
                deep-space probe project).

                Joel Carpenter