[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteor observations from Mars?

From: "belatrix" <belatrix@ozemail.com.au>

> Hi
> I once read that meteors were only seen from earth, as only Earth has the
> right consistency of atmosphere (not to thin that it goes all the way to
the
> surface and not to thick as it too explode instantly) this may be
incorrect
> now it would seem? or was that information not entirely correct in the
first
> place? if that is an image of a meteor from the surface of Mars that would
> great :-)
> cheers
> Kearn

In the "Proceedings of the IMC 1993 (International Meteor Conference of IMO)
Puimichel, 23-26 September 1993 (France) at pages 97-105 there is a paper
by Alexandra Terentjeva on the meteor showers that can to be see from Mars
surface (58 showers are listed), and answering at a question after his
letture
she said that meteor amateur astronomers should to see big bolids on Mars
when Mars it's near to Earth (the last summer Mars was at its minimum
distance
from Earth in the last 70.000 years). In the present days
on Mars should be visible the K Leonids (of Mars) (5-6 March) and the Beta
Leonids (of Mars) (12-20 March). A meteor can to be visible from the surface
of Mars? I think yes, because a meteor it's visible from Earth surface
during a travel with big differences of pression and temperature, the
same must to occur from Mars surface because there is certainly a windows
with the same or similar pression and temperature.
Roberto Gorelli

Follow-Ups: References: