[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor report Dorset 16/03/2004 20:15 utc confirmed by Radio Obs

As copied from uk.sci.astronomy, relating to the evening of March 17th:

In message <c37s0b$23q7ce$1@ID-175470.news.uni-berlindot de>, John Hirst
<John.Hirst7@ntlworld.com> writes
>My first post on this NG, so please be kind..
>Tonight at around 20:15 GMT, I saw a very bright object fairly low in the
>sky travelling from the NE towards the South, parallel to the horizon. As it
>tracked southwards it began to break up and produce around 5 trailing bright
>particles. All of this took around 6 seconds from my first seeing it. There
>were no clouds this evening. My point in this post is to say that I have
>never seen such a bright object move across the sky before, although I have
>witnessed many meteorite and Leonid showers, over the last few years, but
>this was more spectacular than all of these.  I live in Dorset, UK. Did
>anyone else observe ?
>Regards

I think I captured this event at my radio meteor observation site in
Plymouth. I saw a strong reflection from the Belgium transmitter on
55.25 MHz at 2017 utc, followed a few seconds later by a strong
reflection from the Portugese transmitter on 48.250 MHz, indicating a
possible north-south path. See my website's meteor gallery for the
image.

Comments?

http://tinyurl.com/2wdh6 (meteor gallery)
http://tinyurl.com/w6pv (Index page)