[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd: "CLOSEST FLYBY EVER"

> > > The object, dubbed 2004 FH, is probably only about 20 meters in
> > > diameter (the size of a house).

For comparison, here are a few estimates of the object that
made the Barringer Crater in Arizona -- quoted from
http://www.barringercrater.com/science/ --

"The meteorite which made it was composed almost entirely
of nickel-iron.... It was 150 feet [about 50 meters] across,
weighed roughly 300,000 tons, and was traveling at a speed
of 40,000 miles per hour. The force generated by its impact
was equal to the explosion of 20 million tons of TNT."

So 2004 FH is about 40% of the diameter, but I guess that's
about all we know.  I wouldn't want to be anywhere nearby if
it hit the Earth.  Ditto with the Daylight Fireball of
August 1972.

Congratulations to Rob McNaught and colleague on seeing
2004 FH!

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA

Follow-Ups: References: