[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE: (meteorobs) '98 Leonid rates

Thnaks, Wayne.  Your data does show a slight increase between 8:15 and 8:30,
and given your lower LM, I'd say it's a bit supportive.

If I may quote Gary Kronk from his '98 Leonid
page,http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/leonid1998.html,
   ....Interestingly, rates seemed to jump again for observers in Oklahoma,
Texas, Utah, and Arizona. Unfortunately, the true nature of the increase can
not be fully realized because many of the submitted counts were by groups of
people. However, two independent reports from the Davis Mountains in west
Texas did provide half-hour and hourly counts indicating rates of 120 or
more during the period of 07:00 to 09:00...

     My entire count for the evening was 290, the vast majority of these
during the same time period given above.  I suspect I should have had
slightly better rates than, say, Utah or Arizona, during this time as I
would have had better radiant elevation.  Not necessarily better *eyes*....

     There was a burst of activity, however small...somewhere around 8:30
UT...my observing partner got every bit as excited as I did when it occured.
The final hour before dawn was quite slow.

Kim