Subject: Janet Mattei
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:10:29 -0500
From: aavso@aavso.org
To: rendrag@earthlinkdot net

         Dear members, staff, and friends of the AAVSO. It is my very
sad duty to inform you all that Dr. Janet Mattei died at 4:20 PM today
3/22/04 at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital after a long battle with
Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. In typical Janet fashion she fought a
heroic battle with this deadly disease for the past 7 months, but in
the past few weeks it overcame her. Last Tuesday she asked that I
inform her friends worldwide when this time came for her. Last evening
she slipped into a coma, and passed away just minutes ago.
          The AAVSO has lost a strong leader who has guided our
organization to greatness. The world of astronomy has lost a patron of
her field. Amateur astronomers the world over have lost a mentor who
bridged the world of amateurs and professionals. I, along with many
others the world over who knew her well, have lost a dear friend who
will be deeply missed.

Information about services will be forthcoming soon.

Mario Motta, MD