[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) NAMN Fireball Report 2004-04-09, Bothell/Mill-Creek Washington 98012 (fwd)

----------------------  Forwarded Message:  ---------------------
From:    NAMN Fireball Reports <namn@atmob.org>
Subject: NAMN Fireball Report 2004-04-09, Bothell/Mill-Creek Washington 98012
Date:    Fri,  9 Apr 2004 06:32:49 -0400 (EDT)

----

DATE: 2004-04-09
TIME: 02:25:00 UT

TOWN and STATE: Bothell/Mill-Creek Washington 98012
ELEVATION:  ft.

LONGITUDE: 122.20488; LATITUDE: 47.82105

------

APPARENT PATH:

BEGIN: RA = ; DEC =
    or AZIMUTH = 140; ELEVATION = 20

END:   RA = ; DEC =
    or AZIMUTH = 110; ELEVATION = 0 (North=360, East=90)

------

FIREBALL DATA:

APPARENT MAGNITUDE: 3/4 moon m
DURATION: 5-10 sec sec.
COLOR: green

FRAGMENTATION:
large chunks (some red/yellow burnoff)

PERSISTENT TRAIN DURATION: not observed at night sec.

VELOCITY SCALE NUMBER: 2
(Note: 0=Stationary, 1=Very Slow, 2=Slow, 3=Medium, 4=Fast, 5=Very Fast)

SOUNDS:
not observed

SOUND TIME LAPSE:

------

WAS FIREBALL SIGHTED DURING A METEOR OBSERVING WATCH? NO

IF YES, THE OBSERVING PERIOD BEGAN AT:  UT
                         and ENDED AT:  UT

THE FIREBALL WAS A MEMBER OF WHAT SHOWER?

Please put any additional remarks, sketches, drawings, etc. below:

This happened fairly near the 3/4 moon that is out tonight.
It started almost level with, but slightly left, of the moon.
The moon was SSE of my lat/long at 2:30AM.
I am not a good judge of distance for these types of objects.  If I had to guess
I would say it was 5 to 20 miles away (if I think of its distance like I would a
lighting flash). It was moving very slow and gracefully, much like a plane (I'm
not 100% sure it wasn't..dot it was breaking apart).  It came in relatively steep,
but still well less than 45 degrees; estimate of 15-25 degrees (I'm a bad
judge).  From my location it started about SSE and ended about SEE.  It was
breaking up (again, I thought it may be a plane).  It was almost entirely green
in color.  There were slight traces of red/yellow (flame?) coming off the side,
but I may be embellishing.  I do not think I saw a flash/explosion, but it did
get very bright before it disappeared behind the trees.  I wish I had my camera!
:(