[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Park Forest Meteorite

Less off subject, some Park Forest Witness Statements.

Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

Statement 1:

Jim Kaplan with the Romeoville, Ill., office of the Weather Service said he was outside checking a rain gauge when he saw a flash of light in the sky. (Source: WLWT Channel 5 Cincinnati website). "First, it got very bright and the sky lit up," Kaplan said. "You could see something streaking across the sky and breaking up into glowing chunks as it went from west to east."

Statement 2:

An Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper spotted the meteor over Ross County. She told Columbus television station WCMH-TV that the flash was so low that it looked like the object hit the ground. (Source: WLWT Channel 5 Cincinnati website)

Statement 3:

I thought somebody was breaking in. It was a big bang. I can't really describe it. I mean it was too quick to think," said Noe Garza, house hit by meteorite. (Source: ABC Channel 7 Chicago website)

Statement 4:

"As soon as I heard the big noises, I just curled up in a little ball and stayed there had until it was all over, and then I yelled for my dad," said Robert. (Source: ABC Channel 7 Chicago website)

Statement 5:

"Lit up the whole room. Sounded like a plane crashed or lightning going off. It was bad," said Chris Kasco, house hit by meteorite. (Source: ABC Channel 7 Chicago website)

Statement 6:

Chris Zeilenga, 42, of Beecher, said he and his wife Pauline were "watching Iraqi stuff on TV when a couple minutes after midnight, the entire sky lit up. It was like daylight, and it lasted maybe two to three seconds. We said, 'What the heck was that?' "A minute to 2 1/2 minutes later, we heard a trembling sound, like a train," Zeilenga said. "The rumbling lasted about a minute, and then we heard pieces hitting the house. The whole thing was strange. I've never seen anything like it."

Statment 7:

Lauren Ellis, 18, of southwest suburban Plainfield: "About five of us were in the car, and we were driving down the street in Plainfield near our house around midnight, and the sky just lit up. We were in shock. We pulled over because we thought it was a bomb," Ellis said. "With all that's going on in Iraq, we were wondering what it was," she said. "We all heard a sound about two minutes after. It was like a sonic boom."

Statement 8:

Jim Kaplan, of the Romeoville office of the National Weather Service, told the Associated Press he was outside checking a rain gauge when he saw a flash of light in the sky. "First, it got very bright and the sky lit up,'' Kaplan said. "You could see something streaking across the sky and breaking up into glowing chunks as it went from west to east.''

Statement 9:

Lauren Bishop, 19, a freshman at Loyola University on Chicago's North Side, was in her dorm room in the Rogers Park neighborhood around midnight when she and her roommate saw the flash of light. "We were in our dorm facing north when something lit up the entire sky. I didn't hear any noise," Bishop said. "Then we talked to a friend in Indiana who saw the same exact thing at the same time."

Statement 10:

"It's just awesome," Colby Navarro (pictured, right) said. "(It's) an awesome blessing. God gave it to me and others got little pieces, too." Navarro was on the computer at her home when a softball-size meteorite fell right through her roof to the floor, about two feet away from her. She thought it was lighting, or even a drive-by shooting "Plaster blew all over me and all over the upstairs. Then I found the rock," Navarro told NBC5. She said it was warm to the touch and smelled like the sulfur from fireworks. "A meteorite came through my house," she said. Before she knew what had hit her (house), offers for thousands of dollars began to pour in from collectors far and wide.

Statement 11:

"I saw an unusually bright flash of light that seemed to be coming from the west. It lasted about 10 seconds and then, all the sudden, it was like instant daylight," said Officer Bob Boyle or the Park Forest police. Another officer added, "At first I thought it was gunfire and then it sounded like thunder, and then it rattled everything,".

Statement 12:

Kenneth Barnes who's house was hit by a meteorite. "A guy called and offered me $1000. He said he just took the money out of the bank, but he's only here for the weekend," Barnes said, "I said, 'No thanks.''". "It's for sale, but only if the price is right," he said. "Unless somebody offers me a price that makes my eyes pop I'll just keep it. I'm having fun with it. It's exciting."

Statement 13:

We were asleep when it hit. Our son woke us up. "The Police are here, a meteorite hit our house." Homeowner of the Winslow street house. (I am withholding the name of this person as the meteorite community has imposed on this family enough and their name was not printed in many of the newspapers or like related to the fall. Quote came from a phone call I had with the homeowner, Mark Bostick)