[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) LYRIDS 2003

Title: Message
I think that for people who are mostly just interested in "seeing a show" -
say with their kids, or a loved one - then almost any major meteor shower
COULD be a let-down (with the exception of the once-in-a-lifetime storm).

After all, how can the quiet night sky compete with the latest Hollywood
blockbuster, major league sporting event, or a video game, right?

Of course, by the same token - with the right attitude, a bit of preparation,
and the proper appreciation - almost any night spent under the stars can
be the stuff of wondrous memories... And if you add onto that a fairly fast
meteor every 2 or 3 minutes - not to mention the sounds, fragrances, and
feel of warmer Spring nights - suddenly the Lyrids are not to be missed!

And of course, like any shower, major or minor, the Lyrids are very much
worth recording by us amateurs for scientific purposes, as well!

As with most things in life, it depends on the observer's state of mind.  ;-)

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer