[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) LYRIDS 2003

>>I think that for people who are mostly just interested in "seeing a show" -
say with their kids, or a loved one - then almost any major meteor shower
COULD be a let-down (with the exception of the once-in-a-lifetime storm).<<
I consider the Lyrids general activity to be worse than a major meteor shower's "Could be" let down.

>>Of course, by the same token - with the right attitude, a bit of preparation,and the proper appreciation - almost any night spent under the stars canbe the stuff of wondrous memories... And if you add onto that a fairly fast meteor every 2 or 3 minutes - not to mention the sounds, fragrances, andfeel of warmer Spring nights - suddenly the Lyrids are not to be missed!<<

Are you trying to say that the Lyrids are comparable to the Perseids or Geminids or even the Delta Aquarids? Even during a bad year, these showers are fun to watch. But the Lyrid activity is generally a bust except for rare occasions. If you seen a Lyrid every 2 or 3 minutes, you were seeing an exceptional year. With a ZHR of 10 to 15, you might see one every 4 to 6 minutes. If you are under less than perfect skies due to light pollution, expect a lot less.

>>And of course, like any shower, major or minor, the Lyrids are very much worth recording by us amateurs for scientific purposes, as well!<<

If you are observing to record activity, then it's worthwhile. But if you are there to enjoy meteor activity, expect a let down.
>>As with most things in life, it depends on the observer's state of mind.  ;-)<<
And it's better to know what to expect than to be falsely hyped. :O)
George Zay