[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Owls

you have raised a combination of two favourite things -  meteor observing
and owls - and i believe there was once even a call for meteor related
poetry! so i thought this might be my chance to combine all three..

On many solitary observing occasions over the years here in Adelaide
Australia i find the presence of the Mo-Poke or Southern Boobook Owl (
common throughout southern australia and New Zealand and lots of the world i
think?) very comforting and reassuring on quite lonely long stints. And have
come to strongly associate the two things.
 There call sounds like mo-poke and is a strangely friendly call - unusual
for birds i reckon.
they are also very elusive and small (but very loud soft call) and very
quite moving (due to specially soft feathers to remove wing movement noise)
in fact i have never seen one after all these years i think they are
invisible? - although i have seen plenty of tawny frogmouths and barn owls
and bats ect..so here goes and remember it is supposed to resemble poetry
and poetry can be naff and possibly bad poetry or prose like mine is even
more silly ;-)  have to be in mood i guess

Mo-Poke ...   Mo-Poke              here i am     here i am

Mo-poke       Mo-Poke              i am here in this dreaming tree

Mo-poke       Mo-Poke            i am glad you are here     we are as free
                                  as the stars

Mo-Poke       Mo-Poke           welcome friend    my nightsong will sing
                                  you a shining stone

Mo-Poke ...   Mo-Poke          a dying wish coming in from the cold
                                better than to die on our knees

Mo-Poke ...   Mo-Poke           softly snapping wrens survey from invisible
                                heights

Mo-Poke ...   Mo-Poke          return to the womb of the sylvan night

Mo-Poke       Mo-Poke              a burning stone  colours the mind

Mo-poke       Mo-poke               night washes through our dreams too
                                    before there was words
                                             from  before there was light

Mo-Poke ...   Mo-Poke           dreams and meteors share the night

Mo-Poke ...   Mo-Poke         a childs eyes are bright with wishes and
                                  prayers

Mo-Poke       Mo-poke            ashes to flashes      flashes to ashes

from rick the peoples poet ;-) with stream of consiousness prose to boot
(hope i havent plagiarized any of that - probably have? please forgive me if
so - David Bowie?)!!) gave it shot anyway?
cheers
Kearn

> From: "Michael Clark" <mrclark@internetcds.com>
> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:23:39 -0700
> To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
> Subject: (meteorobs) Owls
>
> I, too, have had an owl make an very low pass over my head while observing
> here in southern Oregon! We were up in the mountains watching the Perseids a
> few years ago. It was close enough to briefly obscure a large part of the
> sky.
>
> It was cloudy here at 3:45 this morning. By dawn, crystal clear...
>
> Michael Clark
>
> The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
> To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:

Follow-Ups: References: